Fin, Fur & Feather
Fin, Fur & Feather Club of New Jersey
337 Route 526
Cream Ridge, New Jersey 08514
609.259.7309


A Proud Tradition and Heritage In Good Sportsmenship Since 1932


About the Fin, Fur & Feather Club of New Jersey

The membership of the Fin, Fur and Feather Club is located in Red Valley about 6 miles east of Allentown, NJ. The club is limited to 50 active members. There are many annual events including a banquet, picnic, kid's fishing contest, trout contest, fluke derby, small game hunts, buck week and an ultimate sportsmens competition.

Fin, Fur and Feather has supported many local charity drives and organizations in the area. The club is regularly used by local Boy Scout and Girl Scout Troops, New Jersey Hunter Education safety courses and NRA rifle, pistol and shotgun certification programs. Each June the New Egypt Elks use the facilities for their Kids Fishing Contest. Neighbors use the club house for physical therapy and the club has donated funds to build handicap ramps to their homes.

It all began back in early 1931 when a group of members of a Trenton church men's club, who were interested in hunting and fishing, raised money for fishing trips by holding pinochle games in their respective homes, and afterward in the church basement.

The first meeting of the 17 men was held on February 26, 1932 at a member's home to organize the group. Officers were elected, and by-laws were drafted. After some discussion, the name "Fin, Fur and Feather Club" submitted by the newly elected and first president Harry Schroeder, was adopted.

For more than a year after our organization, the club held weekly meetings in each of the founders' homes, each taking his turn as the host. The fellowship, and cooperation with the officers was substantial and activities continued to grow for everyone's pleasure.

The 17 charter members were Edward Bagley, Joseph Brauniger, Ernest Dill, Rudolph Gade, Karl Horton, Fred Kurtz Sr., Fred Kurtz Jr., George Lambert, Albert Rim, Harry Schroeder Sr. the first president, Harry Schroeder Jr., August Schmidt, Charles Thompson, Harry Thompson, Joseph Thompson, John Wild, and Raymond Wood.

As meetings became a burden in the members' homes, the membership decided to rent a meeting place. A room at the corner of Emory and Division Street was chosen. Manus "Manny" Kline, who had a sporting goods store on South Broad Street, a good friend and booster of FFF, suggested that the club incorporate to protect against someone else using the name. On May 26, 1933, the club became incorporated as a non-profit organization.

After another year of success after hard work, the club moved to new headquarters at 165 Bunting Avenue. During a two-year stay, the club's charter was opened to increase the membership from 25 to 35 members. Shortly after, the increase in membership created a need for a larger quarters, and a room was rented at 260 Home Avenue.

During 1936, many members had the vision of owning a clubhouse, and after numerous meetings decided to start a building fund. The initial donation to the fund was $1.50 (there was a depression, remember?). Members soon realized that it was going to take a long while to raise the $1000 with nickel and dime donations. So the club decided to hold card parties, bingo games, cake sales, suppers and raffles...even vaudeville shows, to raise funds. Their determination and popularity of club functions paid off and the building fund grew substantially. So much, that in early 1939, a committee was appointed to investigate the suitable grounds for purchase. A few months later, the committee submitted the Red Valley property as a potential location. The purchase price was too high and the matter was dropped.

Through the efforts of member Jules Nagy and others, negotiations with owner W. Clifford Case were resumed and on October 11, 1939 the popular sportsman sold the property to the Fin, Fur and Feather Club for the magnificent sum of $5000!

ADDITIONAL INFO...Member Kirk Everett Jr. supplied the following additional information about W. Clifford Case and his family on Sept 14, 2010.  

W. Clifford Case was the son of George Washington Case, founder of Case Pork Roll.  Think about that the next time you eat pork roll at FFF.  W. Clifford Case was also the first owner of the Trenton Senators, a minor league team in Trenton, New Jersey, where his brother George and the famous Willie Mays began their brilliant careers.

His brother George was a major league baseball player for the Washington Senators during the 30ís and 40ís. George Case was the ballplayer who caught the last fly ball hit by Lou Gehrig before his retirement in 1939. He was best known for his base stealing record six years in a row in the American League. While playing for the Cleveland Indians for one season, George was challenged to race the infamous Olympic Champion Jesse Owens around a baseball diamond (which George lost by half a step). After his playing days were over, some of Georgeís career steps included managing the Oneonta Yankees, was third base coach for the New York Yankees, Washington Senators and the Minnesota Twins, and ending his career as a scout for the Texas Rangers and the Seattle Mariners.  Here is the Baseball Reference dot com link to the George W. Case page. It contains a little more info about George. His major league debut was on 9/8/1937 and his final appearance was on 8/3/1947.  George died on 1/23/1989 and is buried in the First Presbyterian Church Of Ewing, Trenton.  So there you have it baseball and pork roll fans.

Perhaps this is the connection of our property to the New York Yankees even though it occured with the prior owner as well.  Here are some interesting pics from the internet of the Case family.



W. Clifford Case adding hickory chips for the special Case flavor


W. Clifford Case (L)


George W. Case while playing for the Washington Senators


George W. Case while playing for Cleveland




The picture at left is from an All Star Masonic Baseball Game played in Trenton, NJ on October 12, 1935, sponsored by Trenton Forest #4, Tall Cedars of Lebanon.

W. Clifford Case is the 7th man from the left in the front row.  Interestingly many of these players turned professional and are listed in the 8th Edition of The Baseball Encyclopedia.  You can view all the names and teams that they played for at the Fidelity Lodge Webpage.

More info on the picture and players as well as some interesting facts and the Case Pork Roll Jingle!

The Case family info was researched and submitted Kirk Everett Jr.
Many thanks to the Charter Members for their vision, hard work and dedication that is still being enjoyed today!

Some Interesting FFF Facts!

The deed to the club goes back to 1791.
The property changed hands 19 times the next 140 years.
In 1927 Stanley Switlik owned the property and the house was used as a vacation place by many NY Yankee ballplayers.
Dr. Farmer of Allentown drove the players from Trenton to Red Valley to relax and fish.
Switlik sold the property to Case in 1934.
In 1932 dues were $1 per year, membership fee $5.
The club had a paddock to raise white tail deer, year unknown.
A fishing trip to Fortescue cost $35 in 1932.
The club owns 5 chairs and a table in 1933.
Members were charged $1 a day (guests $1.50) to hunt deer.
William Ristow designed the club emblem.
Membership increased from 20 to 25 in 1937.
All card games were taxed a penny for the Club treasury.
The club fought against salt water fishing license in 1938.
Previous owners brother, George Case, catches last fly ball hit by Lou Gehrig in 1939.
Today's clubhouse was originally a garage.
Club held sportsmen shows over WTNJ radio in Trenton.
FFF sponsored a bowling team in the 1940's
The membership was limited to 50 in 1943.
Mortgage burning was held on February 3, 1943.
The deer hunt cost $87.35 to run in 1957.
The current policy of not missing 4 meetings in a row and a minimum of six/year was adopted in 1958.
The club owned a small bus to run members from Trenton to Red Valley.
Poultry raffles were held each Thanksgiving.
Present kitchen added in 1966.
The lake and point were purchased in 1967.
After almost cancelling the deer hunt in 1967, the club bagged 4 bucks.
Shooting hole was expanded in 1974.
Paul Burick was made the Club's honorary mascot in 1974.
Harry Thompson, last charter member, passes away in 1983.
Best buck harvest of 18 led by chairman Wally Fortney in 1986.

This information was the result of many hours of research by Todd F. Schmitt. Thanks Todd!

The Fin, Fur and Feather Club membership list is currently closed. Ask a member for details about membership.

Here is an aerial photo of the Fin, Fur and Feather Club, 2 lakes and land.